Volunteer Safe Ministry Check
1. The Safe Ministry Check
Please read the following information carefully:
Thank you for your willingness to complete this Safe Ministry Check. This form must be completed before a person undertakes:
- pastoral ministry that involves direct, regular and not incidental contact with children, or
- services to children that are ancillary the exercise of pastoral ministry which involve:
- giving spiritual advice and support, education, counselling, medical care, and assistance in times of need that involves direct, regular and not incidental contact with children;
- participating in overnight activities such as camps; or
- having close personal contact with children such as changing clothes, washing and toileting,
or supervises such a person.
The Standing Committee of Synod may prescribe circumstances where a person is not required to complete this form. Presently the following circumstances have been prescribed in relation to adult volunteers so that the SMC form is not required where:
- the church worker is undertaking ministry to pre-school aged children (or younger) on not more than 10 occasions in a calendar year in the context of activities in which the church worker’s own child usually participates,
- the church worker is undertaking ministry at or in connection with a university or other tertiary institution, or
- the church worker undertakes ministry to children on not more than a total of 5 occasions in a calendar year, if the ministry involves minimal direct contact with children or is supervised when children are present.
Before completing this form your church should have supplied you with:
- A job description detailing the role, who the applicant would report to and length of appointment. Sample Job Description template.
- A copy of the current Faithfulness In Service document.
- A copy of the relevant Blueprint document for the role
If you have not been given these documents, please speak to your Senior Minister or the person he has made his Authorised Delegate for this purpose and read the documents above before proceeding with completing this form.
Thank you for volunteering for a ministry role within your church or church organisation.
The Anglican Church is committed to doing everything we can to ensure that our churches and church organisations are safe for all who participate in church activities—including our volunteers. That is why we require everyone who has a ministry role within the church to meet specific standards of personal conduct.
To help us meet our commitment to safe ministry, we ask everyone who wants to be appointed as a voluntary church worker to answer some important questions. That’s the purpose of this form.
Some of the questions are personal and sensitive. We are not asking you these questions because we think you’ve done anything wrong. We ask them because they are part of a process that will help ensure our churches are safe.
- Complete all sections. Most questions require answers in order for you to proceed.
- You will need the following information in order to complete this form:
- Your SMC Church ID – the 5 digit number your church should have given you.
- Your WWCC and expiry date (if you have one).
- An electronic copy of a photo ID document (a scan or photo). Your ID should be of ONE of the following:
- A current driver’s licence (both sides),
- your birth certificate;
- a current Australian passport;
- an Australian citizenship document or Australian immigration papers;
- a current student identity card from an educational institution;
- r equivalent form of identification.
The name and email address of any referee that you will ask for character references, should you be required to do so.
- Answer the questions honestly. Where required, tick the appropriate box.
- If you answer ‘Yes’ to certain questions we may have to ask you for more information. But requesting that information doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t undertake ministry to children. Your form will be assessed by your Senior Minister or his delegate, not the Safe Ministry Team.
After you complete this form, when you click ‘Submit’ a copy will be sent to the Senior Minister or his delegate and you will also be emailed a copy for your records.
You Senior Minister or his delegate will then process the form in order to clear you to work with children in the parish . If there are any questions about content of your form you will be contacted by your Senior Minister or his delegate to clarify those questions.
This application is confidential.
It will be retained in a secure place by the parish/church organisation in which you are intending to exercise a voluntary ministry, and a copy kept by the Diocese. Except as may be required by law, or by church disciplinary procedures, the information you supply will be used only for assessing your suitability to undertake ministry to children. If required by law, the information you supply will be made available to the applicable authority.
The Safe Ministry Check Form - Church ID
In the form below, enter the 5 digit SMC Church ID number (including any leading zeros) that your church leadership has given you.
If you have not received this, please speak to your Senior Minister or other leader and request it. Without this ID you will not be able to complete the Safe Ministry Check (SMC) form.